Terminology from the Age of Sail

For a custom word search, make your selections below. For an alphabetical listing select Alphabetical Search. Search is NOT case-sensitive.

1. definition or term - term ONLY i.e. oar will find the definition for oar.
2. any reference to - finds any match i.e. tool will find all shipwright tools.
3. text containing - finds any partial match i.e. oar will ALSO find inboard.

Alphabetical Search | All Entries | Modern Terms
Advanced Keyword Search divider
Search result for definition: rowlock
Rowlock: A U-shaped or O-shaped hole cut in the gunwale of a ship's boat where an oar is located, or any of a number of devices providing a pivot point for an oar while rowing. Often it consisted of a swiveling, U-shaped or O-shaped holder located just above the gunwale. Also called oarlock.

hover over

Images courtesy of Leen van den Berg

hover over

– Top –


Concept, content & Design: The Art of Age of Sail