Terminology from the Age of Sail

For a custom word search, make your selections below. For an alphabetical listing select Alphabetical Search. Search is NOT case-sensitive.

1. definition or term - term ONLY i.e. oar will find the definition for oar.
2. any reference to - finds any match i.e. tool will find all shipwright tools.
3. text containing - finds any partial match i.e. oar will ALSO find inboard.

Alphabetical Search | All Entries | Modern Terms
Advanced Keyword Search divider
Search result for definition: mould
Mould-Loft: A large building where the full-size lines of a ship could be laid-out.
Mould: A thin length of wood or template used to form the patterns from which the timbers of the frames are shaped. A convex timber mould would be called a bend-mould and a concave mould a hollow-mould (timbers adjacent to the keel or at stern and bow).

– Top –


Concept, content & Design: The Art of Age of Sail